• Forums
  • Past Buick Vehicle Discussion
  • Buick Park Avenue Forum
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.

CONFUSED: which rear shocks??

  • Thread author Triple
  • Start date
  • #1
11
2
1
JOH-JAH!
Buick Ownership
2004 Park Avenue & 2000 Century
I used the search tool and found dozens of threads regarding Park Avenue air shocks, but I'm still not sure which parts will fit this particular car. OEM replacements for my VIN (1G4CW54K744155689) are part no. 19299843. The dealer wants full retail: $282.02 per shock!! I've found them online for as little as $174.85 per shock, but that's still way more than I want to spend.

Many members here claim to have installed Monroe MA822's, KYB 335045's, Gabriel 49255's, and others, but the descriptions for each of these shocks state very specifically that they do not work with electronic leveling systems. All Park Avenues of this vintage came factory-equipped with auto-leveling rear suspension; is there more than one type of ALS? Do the cheap aftermarket shocks fit some Park Avenues and not others? I've seen mention of FE1/2/3 suspension systems and I have no idea to what this refers. My original window sticker reads simply "suspension auto level control."

I don't want to install a manual inflation kit; I prefer to keep my factory air compressor, since it works fine and the lines all look solid. If I can't use a set of Monroes or Gabriels with my existing ALS, I'll bin it entirely and convert to coil springs:

http://www.strutmasters.com/Buick-Park-Avenue-Suspension-Parts-s/74.htm

  • #2
8,758
1,159
113
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Last edited:
  • #3
192
0
0
Netherlands
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Avenue 93 Base
I used Gabriel Ultra's for my BPA 93. Works fine, I have the auto-level control for the rear. I put the airtubes in the new shocks and it works really well.
For the 91-96 cars there were 2 options: Full Electronic Suspension (all four shocks) and the Air-Ride suspension (only the rear)
  • Thread author
  • #4
11
2
1
JOH-JAH!
Buick Ownership
2004 Park Avenue & 2000 Century
I purchased a set of Monroe coil-over conversion shocks (part no. 90007) on eBay for $116 shipped. Not much more than the Monroe air shocks and I get to bypass the air system altogether. I may just pull the lines and compressor from the car when I replace the shocks, but I'll cap the air lines at the very least.
______________________________
  • #5
62
2
0
calgary
Buick Ownership
2004 Buick Ultra
Just did the air shocks on my 2004 ultra over the summer. Used the Monroe MA 822. Still hooked up to the factory compressor and lines. Works just like the factory struts, Simple bolt in. Go with the Monroes. Just my opinion.
  • #6
251
1
0
Buick Ownership
2005 LeSabre
I know this is a complete opinion request, but how do the Monroes ride compared to factory shocks? I am interested in keeping the Buick soft ride as intact as possible. Any forum I visit half the people say it's great then half say they're too stiff.
  • #7
8,758
1,159
113
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
I know this is a complete opinion request, but how do the Monroes ride compared to factory shocks? I am interested in keeping the Buick soft ride as intact as possible. Any forum I visit half the people say it's great then half say they're too stiff.
Monroe Sensa-trac struts/shocks will be more stable (bounce return/level) than the original worn shocks, or struts, but most people do not remember, or have ever experienced the ride of a new PA. New suspensions components will feel firmer than worn components, which is a good feeling to me!
Last edited:
  • #8
62
2
0
calgary
Buick Ownership
2004 Buick Ultra
They(Monroes,MA 822) ride great. A little firmer than my old factory struts,but they are new. I have the F-41 suspension on my car,but still rides like a cloud.,just less dip in the corners,dont forget,most of the buick ride comes from the springs,the air shocks are just for level and to control bounce.
______________________________
  • #9
251
1
0
Buick Ownership
2005 LeSabre
Thanks, Paultra. I'll probably go with the 822's then as they seem to get fairly good writeups on these forums.
  • #10
14
0
0
Buick Ownership
1968 LeSabre Custom 400 (RIP); 1978 LeSabre; 1997 LeSabre; 1999 LeSabre; 1999 Park Ave
I replaced my air shocks with the Monroe conversion kit. After a month, they're so noisy I'm going to put air shocks back on, as the air system is still intact and working. Unfortunately, the retaining clips that hold the air line to the shocks are gone. Any idea where to get replacements? Or would looping safety wire around the air hose slots work well enough?
  • #11
8,758
1,159
113
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Any idea where to get replacements? Or would looping safety wire around the air hose slots work well enough
Which car are you talking about, you have several in your signature? You can get the retainers with an Monroe AK29 air conversion kit. There is an o-ring that fits over the hose in the adapter fitting that connects to the air shock. If the o-ring is not in place and secured into the fitting/shock it will leak air. There is no other alternative to a correct replacement of the retaining clamp & o-rings!

AK29:

getimage.php
Last edited:
  • Thread author
  • #12
11
2
1
JOH-JAH!
Buick Ownership
2004 Park Avenue & 2000 Century
I replaced my air shocks with the Monroe conversion kit. After a month, they're so noisy I'm going to put air shocks back on.

Noisy how? I just installed the conversion kit this afternoon. Has ride quality and ground clearance also deteriorated in the month you've used them, or is it just the noise?
______________________________
  • #13
14
0
0
Buick Ownership
1968 LeSabre Custom 400 (RIP); 1978 LeSabre; 1997 LeSabre; 1999 LeSabre; 1999 Park Ave
Picked up the air line retaining clips at a junkyard and got the Monroe MA822s on the PA. The squeaking Monroe Sensatrac conversion kit shocks are gone. Perfect.
  • #14
14
0
0
Buick Ownership
1968 LeSabre Custom 400 (RIP); 1978 LeSabre; 1997 LeSabre; 1999 LeSabre; 1999 Park Ave
Thanks, HotZ28. It was the PA. I did the junkyard route.

Triple, the conversion kit was fine for about the first 2 or 3 weeks, then started squeaking. I replaced them with another set of the Monroe Sensatracs conversion kit, thinking that it was just a bad shock. Another 3 weeks later, that set started squeaking. The ride was always ok (although I found it much firmer than with the new air shocks) and the ride height stayed up. I really couldn't figure out why they started making the noise, but they were noisy when I took them off and pushed them against the garage floor, too. My best guess is that the springs just started squeaking. Fortunately, my air system is still fine. I just thought I'd go the conversion route, because the last time I put new air shocks on a LeSabre with 100,000+ miles, the compressor quit about 3 months later and I didn't want to go to the trouble of finding one for this car if this compressor went kaputt. Good luck with your conversion kit!

  • #15
11
0
0
Buick Ownership
Buick
I used Monroe MA822 on my 2002 Park Ave. and they are great.
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
  • #16
62
2
0
calgary
Buick Ownership
2004 Buick Ultra
Monroes air shocks are working well after 6 months of use. Just pluged into factory lines with no issues or kits. Gonna keep an eye at the wreckers for a spare compressor. Here is a ??? for you guys, Will a compressor from a Lesabre fit on my 04 park ave? Also ,Front struts,(fine at the moment,) Up here in Canada,I can only get Monroes,If I put on the monroe "quick strut" will that affect my handeling(f-41 package) Was thinking of getting the monroe quickstrut and taking apart and putting on my old springs on the new struts and strut bearings. What do youse guys think? anyone else done this? Just planing for the future. Looking forward to feedback. Great site,Paultra
______________________________
  • #17
14
0
0
Buick Ownership
1968 LeSabre Custom 400 (RIP); 1978 LeSabre; 1997 LeSabre; 1999 LeSabre; 1999 Park Ave
Paultra, I have a '99 PA base, so I have to say I'm not sure about any differences in the handling packages, but I will say that the Monroe Sensatrac quick struts were easy to put on and ride great with the new springs. I'm very happy with them in this application and in my previous '97 LeSabre. The Monroe MA822's are working out great in the PA, too. I was also happy with them in the '97 LeSabre. I just thought I would try the conversion kit route, since the air compressor died a few months after I put the air shocks on the older LeSabre and I had to track down a replacement compressor.

With regard to the interchangability of the compressors between a 2004 LeSabre and a 2004 Park Ave, I think that you can. Check out this site and look at the part number for those two applications; they're the same: https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_BUICK_yid10.html I would still ask the desk guy at the junkyard to look up the interchangability in his book, just to make sure.

Good luck! Mojo

  • #18
62
2
0
calgary
Buick Ownership
2004 Buick Ultra
  • Forums
  • Past Buick Vehicle Discussion
  • Buick Park Avenue Forum

Source: https://buickforums.com/forums/threads/confused-which-rear-shocks.38244/

Posted by: tomasatomasawillinskye0277859.blogspot.com